If you have an elderly or disabled family member in a nearby Dayton nursing home or assisted living facility, the thought of that person falling victim to nursing home abuse is horrifying. Unfortunately, this kind of abuse does occur.
At the Dayton Nursing Home Negligence law firm, Cowan & Hilgeman, our attorneys have years of experience litigating personal injury and wrongful death claims on behalf of clients whose loved ones were harmed by nursing home abuse or neglect in Dayton, Ohio.
COMMON FORMS OF ABUSE
Our firm will hold these facilities responsible for nursing home neglect and abuse, which can be exhibited in the form of:
- Bedsores and decubitus ulcers
This is one of the most common problems caused by nursing home negligence. They occur when nursing home staff fail to reposition a patient frequently. Bedsores usually develop in the area of the lower spine.
Depending on their severity, bedsores can be stage 1 to 4. Once a bedsore progresses to stage 4, it becomes very difficult to treat. They are also extremely painful and can lead to disastrous problems for a patient. If not recognized and treated promptly, bedsores can result in systemic infection and in the worst case scenario, can lead to death.
- Carelessness and negligence resulting in death
- Medication errors
- Malnutrition and dehydration
- Physical and sexual abuse
Once a family has made the difficult decision to place a loved one in the care of a nursing home or an assisted living facility, a family has the right to expect that their loved one will not be injured as a result of neglect or abuse. Unfortunately, nursing home neglect and abuse are realities in Dayton nursing homes, and it is critical that nursing home staff are held responsible for their actions.
MAIN CAUSES OF NEGLECT
Nursing home neglect and abuse can be the result of any number of causes. Among the more common causes seen in Dayton Nursing Homes are the following:
- The facility may be understaffed
- Staff may not be qualified for their assigned responsibilities
- Inadequate employee background checks
- Inadequate maintenance of medical equipment
- Inadequate cleaning of the facility
- Inadequate supervision of staff by a qualified medical practitioner
HOW TO DETECT AND PREVENT ELDERLY ABUSE
Nursing home neglect and abuse is often difficult to detect, and families should be on the lookout for common warning signs. There are various warning signs of a problem potentially involving nursing home neglect and abuse that are commonly seen in Dayton nursing homes:
- untreated bedsores, wounds, cuts, bruises, or welts
- abnormally pale complexion
- bruises in a pattern that would suggest restraints
- excessive and sudden weight loss
- fleas, lice, or dirt on resident or in resident’s room
- poor personal hygiene, unpleasant odors or other unattended health problems
- torn clothing or broken personal items
Hundreds of thousands of Ohio residents live in nursing homes, or will live in nursing homes at some point in their lives. Dayton nursing homes and assisted living facilities should be places where an elderly or disabled family member goes to enjoy a life of rest, comfort, and safety.
Many nursing homes near and in Ohio are owned and operated by companies or individuals who are motivated by profits rather than the needs of their residents. If you believe that an elderly or a disable loved one was neglected or abused please contact our firm.