Birth Injury Lawyer Dayton, OH
As your birth injury lawyer in Dayton, OH from Cowan & Hingleman may discuss with you over a consultation, when a child has suffered from a birth injury, symptoms may be immediately present and unmistakable. Signs of birth injuries are highly variable, based on the type of the injury and the body parts or organs affected. There are some signs that you may notice soon after delivery, while others you may not notice until your child is a few years old. Each case of birth injury is different, as there are many ways that a newborn baby may suffer birth trauma.
Birth injury symptoms that may be present right after being born include:
- Breathlessness or rapid breathing
- Need for resuscitation
- Turning blue or pale
- Low heart rate
- Slow breathing
- Drooling excessively
- Nausea or vomiting
- Seizures (may look like strange movements)
- Difficulty swallowing or feeding
- Crying and arched back
- High-pitched crying, grunting, irritability
- Hand curled into claw shape
- Favoring side of body
- Muscle stiffness or weakness
- Weak reflexes
Signs of a birth injury that may appear within 1-2 years after birth are listed below:
- Difficulty holding objects
- Hearing problems
- Lack of speech
- Loss of control of body movements
- Trouble walking or crawling
- Problems drinking or eating
- Involuntary pulling of neck
- Inability to stand or sit on own
- Lack of coordination
If your child has any of these symptoms after the age of two years old, then they may have sustained a birth injury and you should contact an Ohio birth injury lawyer in Dayton from our law firm now:
- Language or speech impairments
- Trouble with motor skills
- Developmental disability like epilepsy or autism
- Hearing or vision problems
- Lack of speech
- Difficulty with comprehension or learning
- Issues with drinking, eating, or dressing
- Rigidity of muscles
- Problems with climbing stairs or running
Without getting prompt diagnosis and treatment, the baby’s birth injuries may worsen and lead to severe complications, impacting them for the rest of their life. It is the responsibility of the doctor to identify and quickly attend to any signs of birth injury. A doctor should also run appropriate tests if anything occurred during labor or delivery that may have caused injury to the baby. If you need advice about a possible medical malpractice lawsuit, contact a birth injury lawyer in Dayton, Ohio from Cowan & Hingleman today.
If your child suffered an injury at birth, you may want to consult a birth injury lawyer in Dayton, OH. Your family may be entitled to compensation. A lawyer can help you file a timely lawsuit and protect your legal rights.
Common Causes of Birth Injuries
While some birth injuries are natural, many are due to negligence. If your child’s injury resulted from a doctor’s carelessness, you may have a medical malpractice case on your hands. Here are some common causes of birth injuries.
- Oxygen deprivation. Infants can be deprived of oxygen if there is a lack of blood flow to the brain during the delivery process. This can occur if the infant becomes entangled in the umbilical cord.
- Improper use of forceps. Forceps are a necessary tool for delivering babies. However, if they are used incorrectly, infants can suffer serious injuries, like brain damage, eye injuries, nerve damage and facial palsy.
- Failure to perform a C-section. If a vagina delivery is too dangerous, it is necessary to perform a C-section. It’s critical for doctors to recognize when a C-section is needed. If they fail to perform a C-section in time, the infant could suffer permanent damage.
- Medications. Doctors may administer various medications during the labor and delivery process. However, if they’re administered incorrectly or the doctor doesn’t carefully monitor the mother for side effects, birth injuries can occur.
Consulting a Birth Injury Lawyer
If your child’s birth injury resulted from negligence, it is important to discuss your case with a skilled birth injury lawyer in Dayton, OH. Depending on the nature of the injury, your child may require a lifetime of medical care, which can get very expensive. You shouldn’t be responsible for footing the bill. An experienced lawyer can help you bring a lawsuit against the doctor who caused your child’s injury.
A birth injury lawyer will fully investigate your case, which includes analyzing your medical records and interviewing witnesses. He or she can also speak to medical experts who can determine if your child’s doctor was negligent. Then, your lawyer will attempt to negotiate a fair settlement with the doctor’s insurance company. If a settlement can’t be reached, the case may go to trial.
If your child has a birth injury, schedule a consultation with a birth injury lawyer in Dayton, OH today.